Latin America & Caribbean
Europe & North America
Beijing +5 Calendars
Women & Media
This Fact Sheet contains information regarding the Beijing+5 Process. It is an effort to provide information as available. New or changed information will appear in future editions. You are urged to share this information with your fellow NGOs. We welcome other NGOs to contact us with their e-mail address, fax number, and/or mailing address so that we can add them to our contact list.
RESUMED PREPCOM AND INTER-SESSIONAL MEETINGS
The dates for the resumed PrepCom and Inter-sessional meetings are: 20 April (Thursday) 8, 9 and 11 May (Monday, Tuesday and Thursday) 30 May 2 June (Tuesday through Friday) PLEASE NOTE: 10 May (Wednesday) is not a scheduled meeting day.
There are many activities going on in New York City during the Beijing+5 Special Session. In addition to the official UN proceedings, there are NGO events directly associated with the official proceedings and other NGO events of interest. Several different groups facilitate/organize these events. To help NGOs contact the most appropriate organization, the following list has information about registration for the Special Session, meeting space requests, and NGO events:
The DIVISION FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF WOMEN (UN)
The Conference of NGOs (CONGO) is an international, not-for-profit membership association that facilitates the participation of NGOs in United Nations debates and decisions. Founded in 1948, CONGO's major objective is to ensure the presence of NGOs in exchanges among the world's governments and United Nations agencies on issues of global concern. For more information, contact:
- NGO registration for the Beijing+5 Special Session.
Contact Koh Miyaoi, firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 1+212-963-3463 for registration form. Deadline for registering is Friday 31 March 2000.
- New NGO application process. Form, attachment requirement and information available on the web(www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/followup/accrengo.html). Deadline for applying is Wednesday 5 April 2000.
- NGO meeting space requests within the United Nations building. Contact: Koh Miyaoi, email@example.com or fax 1+212-963-3463 with any requests for meeting space. Deadline for all space requests is Saturday 15 April 2000.
NGO COORDINATING COMMITTEE
- Coordinating communication with NGOs and ensuring wide dissemination of information about the Beijing+5 review process
- NGO Working Session registration forms will soon be available on the CONGO web site (www.conferenceofngos.org)
- Facilitating the collection of national and regional NGO alternative reports (deadline for submitting alternative/shadow reports is Saturday 15 April 2000) and playing a role in their dissemination
- Liaising with the UN/DAW and other UN agencies/departments as appropriate
- Coordinating on-site NGO services at the UN during official sessions
Contact CONGO, firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 1+212-986-0821 CONGO (Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations)
Secretariat for the NGO Coordinating Committee
- NGO meeting space requests for the Church Center (CCUN) across the street from the UN building.
- Requests for space must be on meeting request form (available soon) and must fulfill the following criteria:
CONGO will do its best to accommodate all requests, but has limited space with which to work. Contact Tsinu Tesfaye, CONGO, Beijing+5 Coordinator, email@example.com or fax 1+212-687-7352. Deadline for space requests is Sunday 30 April 2000.
- type of event;
- an assurance that it will be open to the public;
- an estimate of the number of attendees;
- brief information on hosting organization(s); and
- preferred date and time.
- Disseminating information about the Beijing+5 process to all interested NGOs
US BEIJING PLUS 5 NGO HOST COMMITTEE (US NGO HOST COMMITTEE)
- Facilitating educational and celebratory events at the U.S. Customs House, One Bowling Green (near Battery Park in lower Manhattan)
- Coordinating a Calendar of Events on their web site of Beijing+5 events occurring throughout New York City with links to the organizer's site: www.beijingplus5hostcomm.com
777 United Nations Plaza,
8th Floor New York,
Latin America & Caribbean |
Europe & North America |
Middle East |
Beijing +5 Calendars |
Get Involved |
Women & Media